Do you have what it takes to join the Special Projects Hub? If you have proven experience in consumer journalism or creative writing, are as passionate about print as you are online journalism and want to work in a fast-paced environment across the Aceville portfolio, then you could be just what we are looking for.
The Content Writer role is an entry-level position as part of a small, dedicated team that serves the entirety of the Aceville brand portfolio. This includes Natural Health, Health & Wellbeing, Grow Your Own, the Teach group and a multitude of crafts, franchise and lifestyle brands. It also creates serialised print products, plus a seasonal contract publishing title for crafting brand Create and Craft.
The ideal candidate will need to be flexible and able to pivot seamlessly between projects and tasks at a moment’s notice, and will thrive on working in a dynamic department where no two days are the same. You need to be able to sub a craft project one moment, write SEO-friendly copy the next, all while collating content for upcoming titles, writing newsletters and blogs, and helping to keep the department organised. A whizz on social media, you could find yourself helping out on any of the Aceville social platforms, so you’ll be as happy finding a hook for health followers as you will crafting ones.
If writing engaging copy and contributing to the success of all our publications sounds like a challenge you’re ready for, we want to hear from you.
What we’re looking for…
- Creativity You get a kick from coming up with ideas for features, blogs and design layouts, always seeking innovation and excellence.
- Enthusiasm Where there’s a will, there’s a way. You bring shed-loads of enthusiasm to everything you do.
- Passion You get enormous satisfaction from a job well done; only perfect will do – you’re a nitpicker and proud of it. Seeing audiences soar and engagement skyrocket is what propels you forward.
- Reliability You always deliver and can be counted on to self-motivate and exceed your own goals.
- Curiosity It is essential that you have a passion for learning. We want the very best from you – take every opportunity and squeeze out every ounce of knowledge.
- Collaboration You’re able to work with multiple departments to ensure the smooth and creative delivery of products and projects.
- Agility Nothing phases you. You’re able to pivot between tasks effortlessly, and react quickly to plans changing or priorities shifting. No two days are ever the same, and you wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Support the Content Creator and Editor in the production of bookazines, supplements and contract publications, including collating and updating repurposed copy according to approved templates
- Research and write two weekly blogs for our contract client
- Organise and attend photoshoots
- Sub craft projects to design templates
- Proofread and amend copy using InCopy, for contract client and other publications in the Aceville portfolio
- Create sharable and SEO-friendly copy for magazine websites and projects
- Carry out a variety of routine administration tasks, including updating content spreadsheets for past and future bookazines, collecting and logging craft projects
- Ensure the upkeep of production systems and other organisational devices to facilitate smooth content creation
- Perform any other tasks delegated by the Editor or Deputy Editor to facilitate production of magazines and projects
- Organise, research and write features to tight deadlines, and see these pages through all stages of production alongside the Content Creator and Editor
- Attend relevant consumer and trade shows as necessary
- Dealing with and responding to reader queries
- Liaising with design, ad and web departments
The ideal candidate will be creative, organised, articulate and versatile with a positive can-do attitude. They must enjoy working to tight deadlines and be able to work on multiple tasks at once, remaining flexible to the changing needs of the department and company as a whole. Previous experience in consumer magazines and creative writing, plus proven digital and social media expertise is desired. This is an entry-level position.
What we’ll do for you…
We pride ourselves on putting people first. This role is exposed to an incredible array of departments and upskilling opportunities, making progression easy for someone who is motivated to succeed. We’ll work with you to develop and progress your career based on what you enjoy. Plus, as part of DC Thomson Media, we offer a competitive package of benefits to support your personal and professional development. This includes a healthcare cash plan, pension scheme and mental health support.
This is a full-time role. Currently, it is remote working, but will be based at our offices in Colchester.
To apply, please send your CV, a covering letter outlining exactly why we should hire you, plus two examples of your work to the Editor of Special Projects Print Hub, Emma Cant firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is 18th June 2021