Aceville Publications’ craft department is looking for a bright, creative and conscientious Content Writer to join the department. This is a permanent, full-time, office-based position (temporarily home-based).
The successful applicant will have either proven experience in consumer journalism or be a Journalism, Media, English Language or Literature graduate keen to further their editorial career.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate excellent writing skills for print, online and social media and help us to accelerate our digital growth. You’ll need to be highly organised and relish working in a busy, fast-paced magazine environment. You should be numerate with a head for figures, a stickler for detail and not fazed by working on a multitude of tasks at one time.
No two days will be the same – you will be a versatile content producer with a proven track record of delivering editorial excellence across a range of media. You’ll need to juggle between writing engaging news and features, subbing project text to house style, sourcing inspiring images, producing audience-friendly content for the websites and social media accounts, and supporting the magazines through their final production stages with careful proofreading and subbing.
The successful candidate will work within our dynamic, market-leading craft department and become part of a motivated, experienced and passionate team of creative individuals.
• Subbing and preparing for publication projects commissioned to freelance designers, ensuring that all copy is accurate, that all necessary material has been supplied and checked, that there is sufficient material to fill the space and that all relevant details are included
• Organising, researching and writing pages and features within the magazines to tight deadlines, and seeing these pages through all stages of production alongside the Editor
• Contributing content ideas that are on brand, well researched and may support advertising or other commercial activity, and suggesting improvements in order to assist with the creative development of the magazines on an ongoing basis
• Carrying out a variety of online tasks including monitoring websites and managing social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest etc. and regularly contributing relevant content to these sites. Implementing and overseeing social media campaigns and keeping up to date with social media trends as they develop
• An understanding of SEO and how to apply this for maximum effect is desirable
• Supporting The Crafts Channel on YouTube with both print and digital promotions
• Keeping up to date with published books and sourcing extracts from publishers for potential reproduction in our titles
• Assisting in the production of supplements and other promotional materials and offering support to the wider craft department as and when required
• Liaising with production staff, project designers and other in-house and out-of-house contributors as required in order to facilitate smooth productions of magazines
• Ensuring the upkeep of systems such as filing systems and other organisational devices to facilitate the smooth production of the magazines on a monthly basis
• Performing routine administrative tasks such as responding to or forwarding on email requests for support, sending back projects, sending out complimentary copies of the magazine and dealing with correspondence
• To support titles either temporarily or permanently depending on the needs of the business and requirements of the role/title
• Producing copy for monthly online newsletters
• Attending relevant consumer and trade shows with overnight stays as necessary
• Sourcing suitable giveaways for the magazines and maintaining a system for distributing prizes to readers in a timely fashion
• Calling in products for photo shoots, assisting at photoshoots, subbing copy, sourcing pictures, sourcing extracts and proofreading pages
• Performing any other tasks delegated by an Editor or Deputy Editor to facilitate the production of the magazines
• To comply with the Company’s Health and Safety and Company Handbook policies, procedures and requirements at all times
The following skills and experience are desirable:
• Educated to degree level or equivalent
• Ability to seamlessly adapt between writing for print and digital media
• Confident use of social media and online platforms, and how to best utilise them to the benefit of the magazine
• Excellent communication skills with the flexibility to grow with our brands
• Ability to generate new and exciting ideas whilst keeping the magazine’s audience firmly in mind
• Strong organisational skills
• Willingness to attend relevant consumer and trade shows, overnight stays as necessary
• Note: confirmation of re-location to the Colchester area is a prerequisite to this role
• Up to 25 days annual leave per year (starting at 20 days and incrementally increasing after two year’s and five year’s service)
• Generous workplace pension scheme - up to 9.5% pension contribution
• In addition to annual leave entitlement, your birthday off after your first year
• Generous healthcare cash plan
• Free annual eye tests
• Health club discounts
• Group-wide discounts for products and services from DC Thomson brands
• Plus much more!